Point to ponder...

We were having lunch in a group I that I normally don't hang out with after going out for some work. I asked a colleague which branch of the organisation she preferred, since she'd already been rotated around 3 departments. She said something on the line of "On what conditions are you referring to? Where u get to drink tea a lot, or where you learn a lot? Where no one bothers you, where your superior controls everything you do, or where there is some control on what you do?"

At a certain level, we do wish that the things we do are relevant to our fields. By doing things that we are familiar with, and learning through this process, somehow, I guess some satisfaction is derived from knowing that you are doing something relevant. On another level, everyone needs some level of freedom to do the things they need to do. So where would you draw the line? Do you choose an environment where you have freedom, but wont be doing something relevant to your career, or would you choose an environment where you would be doing something relevant but would expect control and less freedom? I guess it all boils down to what's important to you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would choose a job where I could learn and develop my potential. The job should have some empowerment, but the boss should be there to give the general direction. At the end of the day, I must be in a place where I'm appreciated and a place where I could excel in. I hope that is not too much to ask for. If I fail to make myself happy again, perhaps I should just go and be a kindergarten teacher instead. Hmm....

From: The colleague who will be in her 4th posting. Wish me luck \(^.^)/

Phenom said...

Kindergarten?? Teach tuition better... one person charge $50... 10 person per class, one lesson each month for 1 hr... if you hold 5 classes a week, and do it all in a day, u earn $2500. if u do 5 days, u earn $12,500... hmm... maybe i also should give tuition... hahahahhaa